What treatments are available to stop staining?

Bore Water Wells Forums Bore water quality and water testing What treatments are available to stop staining?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bruceivers bruceivers 7 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of bruceivers
    bruceivers
    Participant

The bore water has a brown sediment which I presume causes the stain on anything the water contacts over a period of time. The sediment also coats all the internal surfaces of the irrigation equipment forming a brown sludge in some places. In other places a flake like residue is noticeable, but I suspect this is dislodged sludge from somewhere else in the system rather than flakes that have been drawn into the irrigation system from the ground water. Does this sound right? How can we remove the brown sediment? Is it just a matter of filtration and if so, what sort of filter, or is some other equipment necessary? We have a number of gear drive sprinklers, several of which have failed recently. Does the quality of the water affect the life of gear drive sprinklers?

Profile photo of Peter Addison
    Peter Addison
    Keymaster

Thanks Bruce for your question. This issue is common in parts of the Perth coastal plain in Western Australia. Iron in groundwater delivered via bore systems can produce red coloured rust stains on buildings, paths, fences and plants. The stain is a precipitate, ferric hydroxide (rust); this builds up causing discolouration to light coloured surfaces.
    Iron may also be present in slimes, or sludges, which can induce severe equipment corrosion over time. Iron deposits can cause problems in irrigation systems, especially those that rely on small orifices for pressure control or delivery via water drippers.
    It is difficult to remove the iron at source as it is present in dissolved form in the groundwater. If irrigating with iron-rich groundwater, the system design should use large droplet (low pressure) sprinklers should to limit overspray
    and water aeration. Aeration will cause the dissolved iron to precipitate out, and clog sprinklers. I hope this helps you.

Profile photo of bruceivers
    bruceivers
    Participant

Thank you for your response Peter. You suggest it is difficult to remove the iron from the water, but for the irrigation system I’m thinking of, redesign is not an option. However, if we can establish the alternatives that are available to remove the iron, it maybe feasible to install one.
    Irrigation contractors have mentioned various systems from time to time, but I have no way of knowing which system is likely to be most effective. Please can you suggest some alternatives?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.